14.4.05

The Early Spring Season

So, as a preliminary post, I guess this might be a bit of a long one. But, here go my thoughts on the cycling season so far.
1. Alessandro Petacchi. Wins the "Fastest Legs" award. He's won 13 races to date, and it's only mid-April. And he took some time off after finally obtaining his dream of winning Milan-San Remo. Something tells me he'll be running out of fingers to count the stages he wins in the Giro next month.
2. Bobby Julich. Wins the "best comeback season" award. He became the first American to win Paris-Nice, and then went on to win the Criterium International by dominating the final stage time trial.
3. George Hincapie. Aka "big Georgie Hincapie," got ever closer to winning Paris-Roubaix last Sunday, but, yet again, he didn't. Thus, he wins the "almost by not quite" award. Although, at least this time he was there in the finale, and was beaten by an incredible bunch of track tactics and a great sprint by Tom Boonen. But, I have to say that I'm getting a bit sick of all the hype about Hincapie. The way he (and the team, I suppose) missed the move in the Tour of Flanders was unforgivable.
4. Bjarne Riis. The "super motivator" award. I think anyone having motivational issues should get to spend a week at a CSC boot camp and rediscover the latent superstar with in. Case in point, Bobby Julich. Previous case in point, Ivan Basso. Other cases in point, Jorg Jackse, Carlos Sastre, et al.
5. Tyler Hamilton. Winner of the "blood, what blood?" award. Well, it's not looking so good. When the powers that be take this long to decide if your positive doping tests are indeed positive, or even if the tests are valid, things don't seem overly likely to work out. But, it was a good run while it lasted, and I'll remain a fan until I'm convinced he cheated.
6. OLN Cyclysm Sundays. The "we'll take what we can get" award. Better than the nothing we were fearing, and actually has been pretty good so far, covering the races I wanted to see, mostly on the same day or the next. But, I can't believe they aren't showing the Giro every day. I'm really thinking about getting RAI for May just to watch it, and learn Italian in the process. I figure I could get the gist...
7. The Pro Tour. I'm really not sure I get it. It seems that the points earned are a bit strange, in that you only get one point for a stage win, and 25 for a classic win. 25 sounds fair, but one seems a bit measley. And yes, I think I probably think this because I would like to see Petacchi get more points for trouncing everyone in every stage race sprint he attempts...
8. Neutral service mechanics. That guy standing on top of the car during Paris-Roubaix, fixing someone's bike, was incredible. Around turns and everything. Give that man a raise. And the inaugural "that's insane" award for bravery and valor in the line of duty.
9. Lance. The "will he or won't he" award. Although already committed to riding the Tour DAY France this July, Lance now has everyone on their toes about when he'll retire, and we all eagerly await his press conference next week (well, really I'm not eagerly awaiting it, but I get the sense most people are).
10. Can anyone wait to see the battles ensuing between Ivan Basso and Damiano Cunego in the Giro? And between Cunego and Alejandro Valverde in any race they both enter? The "my, the podiums are looking appealing this year" award. Praise the rise of the young ones, although it is a bit distressing that they're younger than I am!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home